Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My Latest Progress

I had a meeting with my research supervisors (2 of them) earlier today, and finally, they gave me a clarification on my research topic. It will involve mice (thank God. I prayed hard, I don't want rats!!), and two blood sampling techniques - saphenous vein puncture & cheek puncture. Sounds eerie huh? Basically, I will compare the two techniques, and report my findings - which method elicits more stress/pain on the animal, or takes longer time to yield adequate volume of blood, etc.. I will also study the effect of using analgesic before/after blood sampling vs not using analgesic at all. Right now, I have the freedom to decide on my experimental design, and make the research as elaborate or as simple as I want it to be. Well, we'll see. Right now, I'm excited!! ;>

Just sharing:

Saphenous vein puncture

Cheek puncture

4 comments:

Farina said...

Dr. Ayu, may I ask you several question?

Which vein is that when you collecting blood sample from cheek puncturing?

Pastuh, ape landmark yang hang guna to mark the vein?

Ayu said...

My pleasure Dr. Farina.. ; )

We should target the retro-orbital & submandibular veins draining the face, at the point that they join(at the origin of the jugular vein).

Landmarknya adalah back of the jaw (yang kita selalu istilahkan sebagai "pipi"). Harap menjawab soalan ko ye.. Kalau nak papernya, aku emelkan kat ko. ; )

SpiderJane said...

oh please docs....stop it...i'm a ratttttttttt! *beranak tahun tikus* lariiiiii!!!

Ayu said...

hahahahhah.... siaplah Kak Rima, kena cucuk pipi tuh, tapi bukan botox okeh.. ;p